Lets talk theme wear.....the exciting yet dreaded theme wear. To come up with something "unique" and "different" is a real pain in the ass. Something bigger and better than last year's.....UGH...
Parts of me love theme wear because I am a creative person and like researching ideas but at the same time it's super stressful...like Halloween on slutty steroids.
Now, I am not an expert, coach or suit designer so what do I know about creating theme wear?! Good question....nothing really lol I just have a type A personality and love researching ideas. My them wear for 2013 panned out pretty well so if you think I may be of help...keep reading...otherwise X out and go back to Esty.
The initial drawing board can be the hardest part. My best suggestion is to look through pictures of Fitness America, WBFF theme wear rounds or VS fashion shows. Now I am not telling you to carbon copy a theme wear you like but if take some screen shots of aspects of costumes that you like and find interesting. Gather all of these ideas together and then start brainstorming of what this theme wear can be.....no one said your theme wear has to be real....you can be whatever you want! The last time I checked The Phantom of the Opera did not have on a strappy bikini!
I loved my theme wear for Fitness New England this past year. After combing through endless pictures of shows I knew I wanted a cape and a strappy bikini. I am sure the Phantom idea has been done plenty of times but they key is to make it your own.
Once you have your idea down, start putting together a rough draft of what you imagine it looking like. This will 100% probably change from what the end result is but it's good to get the ideas out of your head and on paper. When you go to a suit designer you want to have a concrete idea of what you want...otherwise you'll stare at one another and they willl probably give you ideas you don't like and it will be a never ending circle.
A big aspect of theme wear is a prop..ugh..i find this the worst part! They key to having a successful prop is something that you can operate with ease but still exciting to an audience. I wanted a cape because it's something that was attached to me and can't fall off plus my mask was attached to the cape so it made life a million times easier. I didn't want to wear a mask and hide my money maker (LOL JK) but I also didn't want to hold the mask and still have to operate the cape...that is just asking for trouble. After some brainstorming...the mask was now attached to the cape and it worked out awesome!
There are a few options if you are having your them wear made by a professional. My theme wear was compiled of different items all from different vendors which in the long run made it a bit cheaper.
Cape: Etsy (i asked for specific colors for my cape rather than opting for the colors shown on her page)
Suit: Natalya Toporova ...also an Etsy find. I sent her my own fabric/sizes and asked if she could make it in the design of one of her own suits
Flower: I googled and found a website with clips pre-glued and bedazzled myself
Mask: Michael's and adhered myself (this was tricky)
Alterations: Local suit designer, Christine Summers, scrunched my butt and addded some sparkle
end product......Whallllaaaa



No comments:
Post a Comment