Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Body's a B*atch

As a bikini competitor I pride myself on pushing...pushing past my limits to be the best that I can be. Majority of the time this mentality works in my favor but lately it's almost putting a hindrance to my progress. 

Since the Foxwoods show in April I have been trying to build, which most competitors do in their off season.  The building phase can take a toll on your body and I've noticed that every time I am in a building phase my body starts to slowly go down hill.  Starting in January 2013 I was building away for the April show and I noticed this odd breathing issue I was having.  I was having a hard time catching a satisfying deep breath (if that makes any sense to anyone).  I would get a massage here and there and the masseuse would ask me if I stretch......sometimes?  It's kind of like when the dentist ask me if I floss....on the occasion? I even went to my physical and the nurse practitioner looked at my like she had no idea what I was talking about.

I would stretch for a week or two and then slowly fall out of the habit.  I don't make stretching a priority and it's starting to cause a lot of problems.  When I was getting closer to the April show and building turned into leaning and toning I noticed a slight change in my breathing and it seemed to feel better.  Fast forward to the present and I am building again and the breathing issue is back.  I hit a breaking point a two weeks ago when my body just couldn't take it any longer.  I called to book a deep tissue massage ASAP because honestly I just wanted a serious rub down LOL...I can only convince Jonathan to massage my back so much before he starts charging.  My guess is that my breathing issues are stemming from the tightness in back and it's really freaking annoyinggg!!!

I am in a state of confusion on what to do?  I am programmed to train...get out of work, go to the gym and do my workouts.  When I do my workouts I am in pain.  I started putting in the effort to stretch before and after every workout recently but realized I need to speak to a professional.  I was able to snag a free appointment with a physical therapist at my gym this week to go over my issues.  He ran some assessments and watched me do certain basic movements (squats, lunges, push ups ect) to see what areas were tight.  Shocker...my back was the big ticket item.  He recommended taking a lil break from back and bi's and going a little lighter on my weights.  He put together a pre-workout stretching program for me and I am excited to see if it makes a difference. 

So Moral of the story..listen to your body.  I haven't listened to my body in months and now it's screaming at me and she's a real biatch.  I want to build muscle and lift like a boss but if I keep up my old routine then I am going to injure myself and be out of commission.  It's a real downer to now have to take a step backwards and decrease weights ect but I need to do what's best for my body.  The foam roller and I are going to become best friends.


 

1 comment:

  1. I have realized since really getting into the building phase how important stretching and foam rolling are. Especially when your lifting heavy like we do. The other thing thats really helped me a TON is adding a yoga session or 2 in per week. Its made a tremendous difference in alot of aspects for me. Soreness, tightness, recovery, stregth. Just to name a few. I hope you get everything straightened out Madalyn.
    Oh, the joys of building.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete