Friday, May 11, 2012

Clean Eatin'

Thank the sweet lord it's Friday! Friday also means grocery shopping day which to some is a dreadful event but I happen to LOVE it! Friday is typically when things start slipping in the diet! I am super strict during the week by the time the weekend comes all i want to do is consume mass amounts of CRAP.  Grocery shopping allows me to know there's a light at the end of the cheats this weekend so I can get back on track!  Lists may be one of my favorite things to do mainly because I can cross things off and watch it get smaller and smaller.  As much as I miss living at home and free groceries, I really enjoy buying my own food because I have total control over what I am going to eat. I always make a list before I go to the super market because if I don't I will end up having 5 lbs of ground turkey and one side for the week.  I make a list of Mon - at least Thursday of what the bf and I will eat for dinner that way I know exactly what to look for.  this week we are having (may I add my cooking skills are very limited):


Monday: Shepard's Pie with extra lean ground beef, mixed veggies and cauliflower mashed on top


Tuesday: Grilled chicken and salad (normally yellow pepper, ff feta, cucumber, kalamata olives and tomato with yogurt dressing)


Wednesday: Grilled shrimp with asparagus and butternut squash mashed


Thursday: Ground turkey meat balls with spaghetti squash


Friday : TBD


Other staple items that are always purchased on grocery day:


Unsweetened almond milk
Non-fat plain chobani
eggs and pasteurized egg whites
turkey bacon
spinach
strawberries & blueberries
sweet potatoes
frozen veg
broccoli in a bag you can steam (makes the house smell like a big terd)
almonds
perdue grilled chicken strips (when I am lazy)


Clean eating has really made such a difference in my choices at the supermarket.  When I was in college and shopped for food my list looked more like: 100 cal pacs, smart ones, high sugar yogurt and plenty other foods that I THOUGHT would help me lose weight.  Advertisers are so brilliant in how they market food to women.  There will be this twig snacking on a 100 calorie pack riding in a convertible and life is fantastic.  Realistically, what value are you getting out of that snack? There is no nutritional gain, just processed crap.  I think one of the best things I have learned from clean eating is to make sure all the food I am eating as a purpose. 


On a side note, ordered my competition shoes!! Straight up, swing around the pole, stripper shoes.  My parents will be so proud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment