Tuesday, May 29, 2012

No Thank You

I have a feeling I will be saying no thank you quite a bit this summer. 

Thank goodness the mother nature gods provided us with beautiful weather for Memorial Day weekend but with beautiful weather comes bbqs.  I love me a good bbq and I am not in prep mode yet so I didn't have to be on my best behavior BUT it did show me what I am up against for the next few months.  I felt this constant struggle to keep myself in check all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday but  it was very difficult to stay strong for three days of bbq and vacation.  Saturday I managed to eat my apple and almonds but once that snack was gone I was left to my own devices and had to make some choices.  Do I eat a big juicy burger on a bun and some potato salad with chips?  Yes and No.  I ate the big juicy burger with no bun and barely any potato salad and had a veggie skewer.  I managed to hold off from the chips until i got back from the beach.  When I saw the big bowl of Doritos staring at me I couldn't say no.  One Doritos led to 5 which led to far more servings than the proper servings size.  Oh yes, and then there was cake. 

Sunday, I was a bit better with preparation.  We headed to the beach for the day/night and I packed a cooler with NF chobani, mango and protein powder for mid morning snack, Ezekiel, chicken, spinach and mustard for lunch and bought some hummus and baby carrots for my afternoon snack.  Then things went a bit down hill with dinner.  I had the most Delicious chicken breast with mac and cheese orzo and a small ben and jerry's cone for desert.  I didn't freak out about it because I knew I had been clean all day and sometimes you have to enjoy a good meal. 

Monday morning I struggled to wake up but knew I HAD to get in a workout before leaving and going home to ANOTHER FREAKING bbq.  I laced the sneaks and snuck into a nearby hotel gym where I could get in an arm workout and then did some hill sprints.  Monday's bbq proved a little better than Saturday's because I just COULD NOT have another bad day.  Even though it is a holiday it's still Monday and Monday always means back on the wagon.  I made up a quick salad and grabbed my skinny water and headed to the bbq.  I put a grilled turkey burger on my salad, said no to cake and had a side of fruit.  IT CAN BE DONE!

I have come to the conclusion that everything is in the preparation (shocker)!  If you go to a bbq and bring healthy snacks, meal and drinks it is WAY easier to say no to the hot dog and 7 layer dip.  It will always be tough for my to say no thanks to a piece of bday cake but if I want to get on stage in a bikini that could fit my bfs 8 yr old niece, i have to just say, No thank you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment